11.18.2011

Martha Stewart Book Signing!

I saw Martha last night!

My friend Katie and I went to the DC stop of Martha Stewart Book Tour for her new book 'Martha's Entertaining'



Unfortunately, the ppl there were PRETTY stuffy and wouldn't let ANYONE take any pictures. The one I tried to sneak in with no flash is just a dark blob, but I wanted to let you all know I TRIED to get one of her.

So, the first question I get is what is she like? Well....narcissistic is the perfect way to describe her. She talked about her 6 houses - her main one being her home in Maine (...got that?), but her favorite being her home in the Hamptons. Her newest book is basically a coffee table book of all of the parties she has hosted at her different homes. I must say, it's not as good as the Cooking School or the Homekeeping Handbook-it was just pictures. She did a book signing, but she was ONLY signing the new book...which retailed for $80. No offense to Martha, but there was NO way I was paying $80 bucks for a coffee table book (that wasn't as useful as the other books) 3 weeks before the Holidays. I brought my Roomie's Cooking School book to get signed and tried to sneak in the line 3 separate times...ONLY to get kicked out by the nasty ushers. Like really people? Oh well...I tried.

A few things I learned about Martha:

1-She has a peony garden, and plants her peonies at different times on purpose so they bloom every week between May and July. And then she has a Peony party (below) to "celebrate" (ahem, show them off) the beautiful flowers. New goal in life: to be invited to Martha's Peony Party


2- Her dining room table is a Concrete slab (that looks like wood somehow?) that seats 12 people that she hand-selected and oversaw construction of. (of course she did, doesn't everyone oversee the construction of their specially-designed concrete kitchen tables?) Most of her guests don't believe her table is concrete until they try to move it.

3- She once hosted Thanksgiving in the horse barn of one of her properties. No joke. And she inadvertently called one of her guests at said Thanksgiving "Overweight" when she talked about the woman rolling on her child when his shirt caught on fire from one of the portable heaters she brought in there.

I must say the woman is incredibly smart and hard working. She has definitely found a way to make the art of 'keeping up a home' manageable and enjoyable. (.....even if she is beyond detail-oriented) There is a reason she is so successful, and I can see why many aspire to be just like her.

Oh, I can't forget to mention she wore leather skinny pants, platform pumps and an oversized sweater. Seriously.

Martha Stewart wears leather skinny pants?

No comments:

Post a Comment