1.26.2011

Does She Have to be a Princess to Live Happily Ever After?

I found this article on the Today Show website this morning and it brings up many good points about little girls these days. I honestly am still unsure how I feel about this woman's perspective. On one side I see a concerned parent who (rightfully so) is cautious about raising a young daughter in today's world. Being a little girl is not as easy today as it was for me years ago. One the other side, I see an overbearing mom who might be over-thinking things just a little bit.

I am probably as girlie as they get. I played with pink toys--pink EVERYTHING. Still do for the most part. I dressed up like a princess, but was not so naive as to think that is how the world actually worked. I understood the princess concept was a fantasy. I was raised by a hard-working, corporate-crawling working mother. She taught me that you have to work hard (and sometimes piss a few people off) for what you want. Nothing is handed to you on a silver platter (but it is easier to get what you want with a smile). But she also reminded me to always be myself. I am a girlie girl at the core. She knew that and never tried to change that. Guess what? I turned out pretty well.

I have a job.
I work hard.
I don't think I will get anywhere because of my looks.
I don't let people at work walk all over my (anymore).
I don't sleep around.
I don't objectify my body.
My Blackberry is pink.

Loosen up and let her have a little fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment