1.09.2013

My Reading List

As I get older, I am trying to read more books and less magazines. 

Seeing how I am a sucker for just about any beauty or fitness magazine, this causes quite a dilemma. Luckily I have started commuting on the metro, which gives me 20 solid minutes every morning to read, so I want to start actually reading during this time, not just trying to eye you know what with cute boys I see.

I am not a HUGE fiction fan (minus chic lit....I love that stuff!)....I like to read about current events, people's lives, etc....I find it more relate-able.  I have been doing a bit of research both on the internet and by asking friends, and have come up with a pretty solid list of books I am hoping to read this year.....it's a good mix of serious and fun all in one.


1. Freakanomics.
This has been on my dresser for a while, but I haven't seemed to start it. The more adult purchases I start to make (aka car, furniture, home perhaps....) the more interested I am in understanding this (shitty) economy we live in and what we can do to stop the downward spiral.


2. Gone Girl.
To be honest, I have no clue what this is about...but I've heard it's good from the New York Times, my mom, and a bunch of other people.....so it's on the list. It also checks the 'fiction' box on my list.


3. Killing Kennedy.
The assassination theories of JFK is one of my favorite things to read about...and who doesn't love the Kennedy's? 



 4. The Last Days of Marilyn Monroe.
My roommate is reading this, and is in love with it. How fitting blogger decided to put this picture right after the one of JFK....coincidence? 

(also, I swear I am not a death-obsessed creep...I just really enjoy reading biographies of fascinating people)
 5. No Easy Day.
Written by one of the Navy SEALs who was on the team that raided Bin Laden's compound? 
Sign me up. 
Hopefully this will fill my Homeland void??




6. The Signal and The Noise.
Nate Silver correctly predicted the last 2 Presidential elections and his theories fascinate me- mainly because I am a nerd at heart but not really smart enough to use stats in my everyday life.

 He would be the perfect Jewish husband if he didn't....err...bat for the other team?
Sigh.

7. Most Talkative.
Enough of the serious stuff....I started this on my my Seattle trip this summer (after I finished 50 Shades of Grey....) and somehow iBooks lost my spot--Grrr! Oh well, I will start over again since that was ages ago anyways. Heard this is great, and in my book Andy Cohen is a genius--he basically invented Bravo afterall.


8. Bossypants.
I know this book is almost 2 years old, but I haven't read it cover to cover yet....and I KNOW it's good. It's Tina Fey-it can't be bad.


There you have it!

What books are you hoping to read this year? Anyone want to do a book swap?

No comments:

Post a Comment