2.01.2011

Top 2 Tuesday

I follow quite a few blogs that link up with Taylor and do Top 2 Tuesday, so I decided it was time to join in on the fun! Today's is more serious than fun, but then again sometimes so is life.



Top 2 Things You Have Learned About Friendship

1. You learn what a real friend is when you need them the most.

I won't pretend like my life is great all the time. It's not all shopping, laughing and crazy weekends out with the girls. Sometimes, it just downright stinks. Sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice switching jobs. Sometimes I am unhappy for no reason at all. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever let someone in and fall in love. Sometimes I wonder why on earth I am acting so selfish. Sometimes I wonder why everyone else has it easy and I don't. Then my real friends step in and remind me that I am being selfish, unreasonable and that I really don't have it that bad. I have shelter over my head, food on my table, friends and family that love me and a job. Everything else is extra. It takes a special kind of person to deal with me and all my craziness, and I love each and every one of you for it.

I have also learned that sometimes being a good friend is hard work. One of my absolute dearest friends unexpectedly lost her father a few months ago. I had NO idea what to say or do, and sometimes I still don't. There probably isn't anything I can do or say that will ease the pain and the heartbreak, but I know she knows I would do ANYTHING if I could. I hate that I don't have the answer, and as her friend, I can't ever stop looking for it, as frustrating as it may be. I know what she needs is time and space, and sometimes it is really hard for me to remember to give it to her--mostly because I want her to know she's not alone, but that's what I need to do right now.


2. You can still be friends and in totally different phases of life.

This will continually be a source of internal contention for me. Most of my friends would describe me as independent, confident and (generally) not insecure, but as my number unmarried friends continually trends downwards (5 weddings this summer--it's definitely trending down!), my insecurity over my habitual single lifestyle trends upwards. I know there is nothing wrong with me being single at this age, yet sometimes I feel some of my married friends are judging me. I don't have babies on my mind....I usually have clothes and boys on my mind (and see NOTHING wrong with this....) Is it wrong that sometimes I recklessly spend money on things I don't need? Is it wrong that sometimes I just really want to go out, have a few drinks and flirt the night away instead of take it easy? It is okay that while yes, this guy is great, I am just not feeling it (even though I know the 5 things I am focusing on are utterly ridiculous and excuses, for lack of a better term)?

Kids? Someday--absolutely. Right now? Absolutely not for this gal. I am just in that phase of my life right now. And that's okay, we can still be friends. We can still get together, laugh, have a great time and be thinking about totally different things in the back of our minds. Yes, I complain about feeling lonely but continually run away from just about any and every guy that comes my way.... but my real friends always remind me that I can't make something out of nothing (but really need to cut the crap). They know I will always be there for every them at milestone in life--bridal showers, bachelorette parties, weddings, baby showers...I'll just have to leave by 9 so I can go out ;)
(.....and hey, who knows maybe they are slightly jealous of my freedom and I don't even know it!)






Okay, that was pretty heavy. I need some online shopping browsing.




2 comments:

  1. SO well written! I think we've all felt the sometimes I...that you feel and have questioned Is it wrong? You're definitely not alone! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and super cute blog. You have a new follower!

    ReplyDelete