11.19.2010

Domesticate This Diva #2 - Shrimp and Rice Bake


So coming off my high from last week's Chicken Caprese Meal, I decided to tackle another Rachel Ray recipe--a shrimp and rice bake from my November magazine (still not sure how I got a subscription to this, but everyone seems to be enjoying it so whatever....) As I mentioned, I am NO expert in the kitchen and let's just say this was pretty disastrous. My poor roommate was starving and I screwed everything up. Here are the hi-lights low-lights:

1. There are no pictures--I was too worried about cooking it correctly that I never got there...then things really started going downhill and I knew it wasn't going to work.
2. I tried to get fancy and substitute Turkey Bacon for regular bacon AND use brown rice instead of white rice--both of which most likely contributed to the epic fail that was the non-existent Shrimp and Rice bake.
3. I burned the rice. I didn't even know rice could burn....time to go back to those minute microwaveable bowl things.

Anywho, luckily the shrimp wasn't added yet, so around 8:45 pm I threw some garlic, butter, shrimp, old bay and whatever was left of the onion into a skillet, hi-jacked my other roomie's Boil-in-a-bag rice packets and threw together a (semi) meal for us. It ended up tasting pretty good and re-affirmed two things I have ALWAYS thought :

1. The simplest recipes always taste just as good if not better than the fancy ones
2. Cooking is overrated.

I am going to uplift my bruised ego by eating out and/or having meals other people prepare for me all weekend. Oh wait.....I am in charge of the Turkey for Thanksgiving with the girls on Sunday. #&%$! And until further notice, Rachael Ray is taking a knee. At least in my kitchen.


No comments:

Post a Comment