Over the past year, I made a dedicated effort to get into shape and exercise more regularly. I am not going to pretend that I did it all by myself--I definitely had a lot of help along the way. Regardless, I learned a LOT about exercise, health, losing weight and myself. I also was introduced to these wonderful things called Kettlebells. In the beginning I HATED them...absolutely hated them. After 4 weeks of the following workout 2x a week, I already saw results. A year later, we are in a healthy (and quite possibly my most serious) relationship. A few of you have asked me to post my Kettlebell workout. Lucky for you, I ironically am avoiding the gym by posting the workout I SHOULD be doing. So, here we go!
First off...wtf is a Kettlebell and how do they work? A kettlebell is a cast iron weight (think really heavy iron ball with a handle). They work so well because kettlebell exercises combine cardio, strength, core strength and flexibility training. The best thing about Kettlebells is the multiple groups of muscles the exercises work. The second best thing is you can do a full-body workout in a short amount of time and burn LOTS of calories. Alright, enough of my blabbing--let's get to the good stuff.
DISCLAIMER: I am in no way, shape or form qualified to give any exercise advice. I am simply sharing my workout with a few suggestions for beginners. Also, the instructional videos I posted I found on YouTube. I cannot attest to any certifications of anyone featured in them.
My workout:
30 Dual-Arm Swings
(40 lbs)
20 Single-Arm Swings/side
(25 lbs)
20 Squat-Presses/side
(20 lbs)
5 Turkish Get-Ups/side
(These are the mother of all workouts. Start out with 3/side and KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE KETTLEBELL!)
4-45 Second Planks
35 Russian Twists
(15 lb medicine ball)
Repeat 3 times.
The key is to have little to no downtime between each exercise to keep your heart rate up. This should take your approximately 45 mins-1 hour. Anything longer and you aren't doing it fast enough ;)
Keep in mind that I have been doing this workout for over a year....my weights are considerably heavier than when I first started using Kettlebells. Start out with 25 lbs for double swings, and 15 for everything else and work your way up, increasing by 5 lbs every 1-2 weeks.
Feel free to email me if you have any questions and Happy Kettlebelling! (Okay, must at least run!)
First off...wtf is a Kettlebell and how do they work? A kettlebell is a cast iron weight (think really heavy iron ball with a handle). They work so well because kettlebell exercises combine cardio, strength, core strength and flexibility training. The best thing about Kettlebells is the multiple groups of muscles the exercises work. The second best thing is you can do a full-body workout in a short amount of time and burn LOTS of calories. Alright, enough of my blabbing--let's get to the good stuff.
DISCLAIMER: I am in no way, shape or form qualified to give any exercise advice. I am simply sharing my workout with a few suggestions for beginners. Also, the instructional videos I posted I found on YouTube. I cannot attest to any certifications of anyone featured in them.
My workout:
30 Dual-Arm Swings
(40 lbs)
20 Single-Arm Swings/side
(25 lbs)
20 Squat-Presses/side
(20 lbs)
5 Turkish Get-Ups/side
(These are the mother of all workouts. Start out with 3/side and KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE KETTLEBELL!)
4-45 Second Planks
35 Russian Twists
(15 lb medicine ball)
Repeat 3 times.
The key is to have little to no downtime between each exercise to keep your heart rate up. This should take your approximately 45 mins-1 hour. Anything longer and you aren't doing it fast enough ;)
Keep in mind that I have been doing this workout for over a year....my weights are considerably heavier than when I first started using Kettlebells. Start out with 25 lbs for double swings, and 15 for everything else and work your way up, increasing by 5 lbs every 1-2 weeks.
Feel free to email me if you have any questions and Happy Kettlebelling! (Okay, must at least run!)






No comments:
Post a Comment