Happy Halloween everybody! Life in the Nation's Capital is back to normal--no more government closings, hurricanes, etc. To all of my New Jersey and NYC readers/followers/family/friends/fellow Americans--I continue to hope you all can find electricity, heat, food, and whatever else you are missing. The images on TV are absolutely devastating and I am looking forward to seeing the re-build being you back stronger and better than ever. It's easy to say as someone who didn't lose anything--but the stuff in your house are just things...as long as you have yourself and your loved ones, almost everything else can be replaced.
What a fun surprise that we are already half-way through the workweek on my first day back in the office! Never fear, yours truly was still making those dolla$ from the cozy confines of my house Monday and Tuesday....in fact my wonderful company sent me an email each day to remind me my second priority after securing my house and my family was to remain 'serving our clients and the firm....'. Aka: stay billable and make us money. No problem...I got it.....and also had to send this out to every single one of my co-workers...
Well, the good 'ol house withstood Sandy (for the most part), but it did take a pounding. I know I have mentioned it before, but I live in an older house that has had a couple basement floods.....so we spent most of the night checking for leaks and shopvac-ing the water (it wasn't much compared to earlier floods...) out. This even resulted in us plugging a hole with chewing gum. Yep, you heard it. Add Bazooka to the 'emergency supply list'. If you were plugging the hole, you had to chew. With 6 people taking cover, there were plenty of chewers to go around. Oh a day in the life of a renter in a house built almost half a century ago. We also discovered a small roof leak, but that was well into the evening...considering the amount of rain we had before it leaked, not too bad. Again....a quick climb into the attic with some Duct Tape...and the leak was temporarily fixed. Apparently I do have some survival skills...my Dad was impressed at our resourcefulness!
Now onto the random part of today's post. I woke up bright and early Saturday morning (7:30 to be exact...) and wanted to bake. Don't ask why....so I headed out to Target (figured I could stock up on some Hurricane supplies along with groceries....) and baked a Cinnamon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake! I used this recipe and added some extra butter to the crumb crust. It was AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS and doubled as a non-perishable for us to have on hand for the storm! I will def. be making this again...and again.
Okay ladies....this next item is way overdue, but I must share with you. About a month ago, I ordered this bright green puffer vest from Old Navy (LOVE puffer vests!). I really love the JCrew ones...but at $100 a pop I can't justify it. (The Hot Pink one is on my Christmukkah list....between Santa and Moses, one of them should have some extra money lying around to procure this....) I stumbled upon a 20% off code that made the price under $18....so naturally.....
..I got a second one! (Why not...so cheap!) This grey tweed one is adorable too! They both are super soft and warm...great under $20 finds. Today, you can get 20% off by using the code ONTRICK. Go get yourself one (or two....) NOW!
Remember the wedding I went to last weekend? Well the bride Katie got a sneak peek of her pics from the photographer and is letting me post one on the blog! My jaw dropped to the ground when I saw this....absolutely breathtaking. As I said, it was a gorgeous day to get married in the Nation's Capital!
(Last weekend, of course)
ALSO....I am famous now. Yes, I am slowly working my way out of this career one tweet/blog post/holiday at a time. My good friend Diane and I went as Kathie Lee and Hoda for Halloween......
.....and after tweet-bombing them with suggestions on dress colors....WE MADE IT ONTO THE TODAY SHOW THIS MORNING! We received an email from the producers on Monday that we would be on Wednesday's show....luckily Diane was working at home and sent me this quick tid bit.
HELLO 10 SECONDS OF FAME!
Not to mention, it was the BEST costume ever--I didn't buy a single thing. I wore one of my favorite work dresses (Diane rocked one of mine, too).....curled my hair for my 'going out hair' and rocked hoops (I am a studs-only gal....)...so it was kind of funny to be dressing up as someone else for Halloween in my actual clothes. But it worked, so that's all that matters!
I am heading to Charlotte this weekend to see Laura! I am super excited -her and her husband just bought a house (and I get to be their first guest!) The main event is the Carrie Underwood concert Saturday night...you can read all about our spontaneous concert-going back in November of 2010 here and here when we snuck up to the front row and were literally THIS close! Laura scored us some amazing floor seats, so no sneaking involved this time :)
T-MINUS 3 DAYS UNTIL CARRIE!













Lol, I saw you guys on TV! That's great! Congrats!
ReplyDelete=)
Brooke
ahh yay! Thanks for stopping by:)
Delete