...or Happy New Year for all you non-Hebrew speaking folks from yours truly at P&P. A little challah, apples and honey to ring in a sweet new year anyone??
At the beginning of the calendar year (not to be confused with the Jewish New Year that operates on the lunar calendar....), I set some goals using a do less/more approach here (as opposed to straight resolutions which are lost causes for me). Now is a good of time as ever to look back and see how I am doing with those.
1. Read less magazines...and more books.
Status: Toss Up.
I definitely have not been reading as many magazines as last year, so that is an up arrow...but in terms of the books....I am not sure if we are in the right 'quality' area. I did complete all 3 Hunger Games books, as well as the entire 50 Shades of Grey Series, Emily Giffin's Where We Belong. I loved all of these, but they aren't exactly the types of intellectual reading I had in mind back in January. Oh well, I guess for now-- a book is a book, right?
2. Drink less Diet Coke...and more water.
Status: Getting better. WAY better.
Recently, I have made a concerted effort to stop drinking as much DC....and I am happy to report I am doing really good. Granted, coffee has replaced DC in the morning....but something has to give. I have noticed since I have dramatically decreased my DC consumption (I used to have 2-3 a day...now I may have 2-3 a week) I am less hungry. Coincidence? I think not.
3. Spend less...and save more money.
Status: Good...until I bought a car and had to tap into savings.....but still trying to save a little bit every paycheck.
For those of you who don't know me...this will sound unbelievably shallow and callous....but for those of you who do know me, you may be shocked at what I am about to say. It has been over a month since I have purchased an item of clothing/gone to a store to shop. Partly because I am consciously trying to not tempt myself by going into a mall and partly because I am out of town a lot, but either way I have stayed away. Make no mistake about it--I am a shopaholic. My closet is full of more clothing than I know what to do with and it never seemed to be enough. Fast forward a couple of years later...I have some ambitious savings goals. Just exactly how does a single girl who fully supports herself but still likes to go out and socialize save money? Less shopping and more cooking. (Working on that whole cooking thing.....) Baby steps. Hopefully I will have a sizable savings account in no time.
Conclusion: Not terrible, but there is definitely room for improvement.
If anything, this year will be one of new memories and milestones. I am looking forward to another year chock full of weddings and babies blessing many of my friends. Sometimes it's hard for me to accept where I am in life.....I didn't exactly think at 27 I would still be single in a house with roommates...but I am having a blast and I must accept my life for what it is. Don't get me wrong....it's not horrible...but I just thought I would be somewhere....different. More grown up.
Here's to another year of (hopefully) many exciting life experiences and new memories!








No comments:
Post a Comment