6.12.2012

My Work Essential: My Circa Notebook

Today we are going to discuss what is quite possibly one of my most important possessions: My Circa Notebook. This book is the perfect customizable system that has assisted me in staying organized and being more productive. I give this lil guy all the credit for helping me kick some major @$$ at work last year ;) 



I was introduced to Circa Notebooks from my boss, who learned about it from another co-worker (good news travels fast.....) Come to find out it has a cult following at my firm ;) Circa Notebooks are sold here through Levenger and are very popular with business owners and Junior League gals ;)

For those who don't want to spend so much on a leather cover and the Levenger system (it def can get pricey!)...... Staples sells a similar product, the ARC Customizable notebook, which you can read about here. If you are interested in comparing the two, no need to do research-I did it for you! I found this review I found to be the most useful after the fact--the truth is each line has it's pros and cons, and I have found that mixing works best for me--some of the Staples versions just aren't as good of quality/useful as the real deal.

My notebook is assembled from some of my favorite products from both lines--the Staples paper refills are MUCH cheaper and I really like the quality of the paper, so I generally stick to the Staples brand for paper refills. Here are my favorite accessories:


Photobucket

1. Decorative Rings. I love these rings--they look adorable, but they don't work as well as I would like. I stick to the plain black rings from Levenger as I have found they are the best quality. 
2. Page Flags. These are essential and I see no reason to pay for the overpriced Circa ones when these work just fine ;)
3. Action Method Pages. I was recently introduced to the Action Method and it has transformed my planning for presentations, meetings and work products. My boss even recently mentioned I seem much more productive and on top of my game lately....which in itself justified the price. They are also absolutely adorable in the teal...which never hurt anyone. Read about the Action Method here (and thank me later!). 
4. Custom Dividers. I have one tab for each of my 2 clients, one for internal firm activities, one for project financials and one for personal use. Again...no need to splurge for lil pieces of plastic...go with the Staples version.
5. Colored Annotation Paper. I mostly use the plain white Staples paper, but I also like having colored paper for certain types of tasks/work products I am working on. Luckily, the Levenger store loves to give you free samples, so I haven't actually had to purchase any colored annotated pages.....

I also use this clear pouch to hold my odds and ends and have one of these punches for handouts from meetings that need to make it into my notebook. The Levenger brand punch is over $100--I don't think so! I also have recently invested in some Staples brand graph paper (don't think I will be buying that again...) and the To-Do Lists, which help me keep things on track! (Again, no need to spend 4X the amount on paper at Levenger...)


Okay enough of the online pics-let's take a look at my notebook :)

I have a Grey pebbled leather cover from Levenger  held  together with russell + hazel bands because a) they were absolutely way too cute to pass up and b) I need to keep this thing together amongst my lunch, shoes and everything else in my bag. If you look closely you will also see my cover is monogrammed ;) In case you are wondering, I use 1.5 inch rings.


Inside....



Example Action Method in the works.... (from today's meeting!) I am telling you... I wasn't sold at first but now I don't know what I did without it.


Now I know some of you are thinking I am a crazy, office-product indulging lady, but there is a method behind this madness. (I swear....) When I was discussing development areas with my boss and reasons why I wasn't progressing at the rate I wanted to, organization and note taking was identified as one of my 'development areas' (nice way of saying weakness....). Anyhow, it was recommended I research note taking and productivity methods. I found that for the type of work I do and the industry I work in, the Cornell Note Taking method is the most productive and efficient method for me. While researching the Cornell method, the Circa/ARC system was one of the most recommended tools.....2 pictures later, I realized my boss had one of the notebooks and it was all over from there! 

Now, with 2 clients and multiple employees to track and manage....I would be lost without this system...which is exactly why I am sharing it with you.  It really is one of the most useful and customizable systems around. If you have any questions I am happy to help/give my opinions ;) 






1 comment:

  1. way to go, girlfriend! what a great way to show how to work with constructive criticism, and how a little change can make all the difference! xoxox

    ReplyDelete