
Hi friends :) I just got home from Passover Seder at the parents house, so my apologies for the late night post. This weekend I got to spend a bunch of quality time with my bed, my friends and my family :) Just what the doctor ordered!
Saturday was a super rainy, gloomy day, so I spent 90% of it lounging in bed watching quality Lifetime programming such as The Pregnancy Pact. Seriously, those movies can get addicting....and I am NOT a TV addict.

Saturday also happened to be the 4th anniversary of the tragic shootings at my beloved alma matter, Virginia Tech. 4 years (and 2 days....) later, the pain is just as real and piercing as it was that awful Monday in 2007. I can remember the day like it was yesterday. I remember sitting with my best friend watching the number of victims climb....and wondering how on earth this happened to my happy place. For those of you who haven't been to Blacksburg, it literally is the safest place in the world. Never in a million years would anyone (myself included) ever imagined that the deadliest campus shooting would occur there. I remember every moment of that week--all the cameras, all the police, all the media attention. 4 years later, it isn't a headline story, but the pain and suffering very much still is. While I didn't personally know any of the victims, I know that no single event in my life has ever had such an effect on me. I was a mere 5 weeks from graduation. April 16th put so many things in perspective--always tell those who are the most important how much you love them and never EVER take things for granted. It also taught me a big lesson on perspective. Traffic? At least I am alive to sit in it. Can't stand my job? I am almost positive any of those victims would have gladly worked my job had they had the chance. We all should live life to the fullest, take advantage of every opportunity we are given and be the best people we can be, since they no longer have the chance to.
Saturday night, the girls (and a few of the guys) came over for a low-key potluck/game night. We had a short moment of remembrance, played a bit of catch phrase (pretty sure my team won!!) and just took a moment to stop and enjoy each other's company. It was the perfect way to honor the lives of our fellow 32 angels.
Sunday was a beautiful, rain-free day. I met up with some extended family who were in town for Passover and got to hang out with this cutie. She is my cousin's daughter and is literally the sweetest girl on earth. We took tons of pictures and videos on my iphone and she loved it! One day I want a few of my own, but for now 3 hours at a time is just enough for this gal.

Literally, I just want to play with her ALL the time!
I am going to attempt to keep Kosher this week (if I can pull it off). I had a potential mishap this morning when I ate a cupcake one of the interns brought in and THEN remembered that it was Passover. Chances of that cupcake being Kosher for Passover was about .00001 %. Luckily, my half catholic half Jewish cousin (don't ask, I don't get it either) reminded me that Passover really starts at sundown, so I am in the clear.
PHEW.
Tomorrow, I am going to attempt to make some toffee bark with Matzah instead of saltines, because we all know this girl can't function without sweets, and I am going to need something Kosher for Passover to keep me going this week. The recipe is super simple, so I think I can handle it. I will make sure to post it for you all to make some for yourself!
I am really excited to finally start reading Game Change. It is a real account of the 2008 election, written by two frequent guests on my favorite morning news show, and is now turning into a movie. I finally remembered to grab my mom's copy after Seder this evening, and am already hooked!
I am also getting back on the health bandwagon. Lately, I have been giving myself way too many liberties on the weekends, and as a result I have gained a few lbs.....that are NOT coming off easily. Blah. I do not work out 4-5 days a week to gain weight.
Back to the salads and fruit--no more sandwiches and Chipotle Burrito Bowls. I am trying to pack my lunch the night before work so I don't have any excuses when I am running late in the morning....so far, so good. (Yes, I realize it's only Monday night, but hey I am 2 for 2!)
I am also trying to cut down on the Diet Coke in hope that it will help. I went from approx. 1 1/2 20 oz. bottles a day to just a can. I am hoping to curb the DC consumption to maybe 3x a week, but I am not trying to get ahead of myself.

MUST loose these extra lbs...bathingsuit season is right around the corner!









happy passover!!! Did a maztoh recipe post today check it out!
ReplyDeletexoxo emily