1.08.2014

Professional Dress Faux-Pas

So, here's the deal ladies...I know looks aren't everything, but in the real world, you need to dress the part. If you want people to take you seriously at your job and treat you like a professional, then you need to not only act like one, you need to look like a professional, too.

Remember, first impressions last a lifetime.

Let's discuss some of my office faux-pas. 
(Inspired by Classy Cubicle's Cubicle Crimes...she def has the catchier name!)

1. Wet hair. 
Nothing says I don't take my job seriously like wet hair....and if you come across as not taking your job seriously, why should anyone else take you seriously? I see way too many girls with wet buns all over the place, and it literally makes me cringe. Yes, I know blowdrying your hair takes a long time, so I have some alternatives for you: invest in some Dry Shampoo and don't wash it, throw your hair in a pony tail/work appropriate bun (topknot is NOT work appropriate in a corporate setting unless you work in fashion--save it for the weekend), or even run a little late, dry your damn hair and blame it on public transportation...but whatever you do DO NOT COME TO WORK WITH WET HAIR. EVER.

(not even the Olson twins can rock wet hair)

2. Bare legs.
Bare legs are only appropriate in the Spring and Summer. (This particular rule may not apply universally...maybe only to the east coast/mid-westerners....) Yes, sometimes we get the occasional 60-something degree day in November, but it's NOVEMBER people....you need to wear tights or pantyhose. Same goes for the random 60 degree day in February--you only look like a fool. I hate the beginning of tights season as much as you do, but generally, you need to be wearing tights mid- October thru mid-March. Bare pale legs in the middle of winter just look plain silly. If you hate tights, embrace pants. Disclaimer: fishnets are not office appropriate tights...unless your office is at a bar or again, you work in fashion. Subtle patterns? Yes....Fishnets...NO.



3. Inappropriate Shoes.
There are a number of shoes that fall under the category of inappropriate in the workplace, including, but not limited to: strappy shoes, shoes that are so high you can't walk in them, overly platform-y shoes, shoes that are so tight around the ankle they make you look larger than you are, shoes that contain any sort of see-through material (including the heel), anything that looks plastic, shoes that look like they've seen the dance floor a few too many nights, and even sandals. Yes, I said it here--sandals are not appropriate in the office. (Again, if you work in fashion, these rules don't exactly apply to you...but if you work in an office, take notes) If your feet are hot in the summer, go for a cute and appropriate pair of peep-toes or a great pair of flats. My all-time favorite, #1 recommended shoe for the office is the Dixy Pump by Enzo Angolini. It's the perfect combo if fashionable, yet professional--appropriate platform and heel height, and they are SUPER comfortable. I usually get myself a new pair once a year when Piperlime has their Friends & Family discount or anytime I see them on sale, because I don't think I can survive without these.


4. Un-ironed clothing.
If you hate ironing, I have a few alternatives for you:  learn to love to dry cleaners, invest in a steamer, or don't buy clothes that require ironing. There are plenty of fabrics out there that don't require ironing. How do I know this? Because I don't iron ;)


5. Wild Nail Colors.
I know bold, loud colors are all the rage. I love them as much as the next girl, but they simply aren't work-appropriate. Paint them on your toes if you need to, but stick to the pale pinks/neutrals in the office. You don't see many CEOs with electric blue nails......at least in the office. Plus, sticking to the pale pinks will ensure you don't violate my next faux-pas....


6. Chipped nails.
Ahhhhh! This is the worst, and admittedly I am guilty of my own faux-pas here...but chipped nails in the office are a no-go. Gel manicures are the best for this, but those things DESTROY my nails, so I had to stop. This is where pale pink polish comes in handy...because even when it is chipped, you can't really see it (hence, you can get away with it for the REMAINDER OF THE CURRENT DAY). Remove your polish as soon as you get home. You know how women's restrooms often times have tampons, mouthwash and other items? They need to include Nail Polish Remover. I usually keep these polish remover pads in my purse- 1 pad will easily remove the polish from all 10 nails without the pad drying out.


7. Skirts.
I love a good pencil skirt. They are the perfect piece of clothing for the working woman--looks good in the office AND after work at the bar;) I think they are universally flattering on all women--AS LONG AS THEY FIT. And if they are too small...you might as well just wear no skirt. It isn't a good look on anyone--not even Beyonce looks good in pencil skirts that are too tight. Disclaimer: most pencil skirts have a slit in the back......make sure you inspect your slit before you leave the house so your Spanx/butt cheeks aren't showing (you think I am making this stuff up.....but I am not) Also, make sure your skirt is NO SHORTER than 1 inch above your knee (unless miniskirts are considered appropriate in your line of work). You don't want to be known as 'the girl who wears the inappropriately short skirts'...ESPECIALLY if you have bare legs. (See, it all comes together)

i feel like it would be a little too short for work though.

8. No cami under your button up shirt.
No matter your size, if you wear a button up shirt you need to wear a cami. Period. It will eventually gap, and you don't want to be the girl who's leopard print bra was showing in her gap. Your alternative is to do what I do, and never ever wear a button-up shirt, or invest in these genius shirts (illustrated below)


9. Cleavage.
Cleavage at work isn't sexy. Period. It will result in people talking about your boobs, whether you know it or not...and any company where you need cleavage to get ahead and most likely one you shouldn't be considering a long-term career at. Save the cleavage tops for outside the office. 

So, if I completely busted your ego, I do sincerely apologize. I don't want you to feel bad about yourself, but I do want you to think about what you look like at the office. Your clothes will never define you, but they should reflect who you are--smart, polished and put together. They don't have to be fancy or expensive, but they should help you, not hold you back. There is enough against you being a working woman, the last thing you want in your way is your own wardrobe.

2 comments:

  1. Guilty of the chipped nails, I also rock the pale pinkish polish! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome post! thank you! i wish more gals would follow these tips!

    ReplyDelete