Since my 'State of the Blog' post (okay..lies...way before, but I just decided to get around to writing about it...) I've noticed there aren't many blogs out there geared towards people like me--single, working women.
There are a LOT of mommy blogs out there in the blogosphere, and they are fun, entertaining and have lots of followers. They do a great job of reminding moms how hard it is to raise children and that they are not alone. I don't doubt raising a child is difficult.....if my mother's stories are even half true, raising a child is probably one of the hardest and most exhausting things in the world.
....BUT....
that doesn't mean that moms are the only ones who work hard, are exhausted and need encouragement. Moms are the first ones to pick each other up when they are down and lay it all out there as raw as it gets...but I don't see the single gals out there doing it...which means one of two things:
1) There are no single gal bloggers
(at the rate engagements pop up on my newsfeed, this may be true...)
(at the rate engagements pop up on my newsfeed, this may be true...)
2) We aren't talking about it.
I am not sure what the answer is, but I have decided that I am going to talk about it...and be the advocate for all of us single gals out there who also need to be reminded that we too are doing a great job.
(I feel like the old school Bethenny Frankel would be applauding me right now....)
Chasing a toddler around the yard, running errands, cleaning and whipping up dinner for four can no doubt be exhausting and stressful....but so is spending the day tending to needy clients, completing high-priority work products, commuting via public transportation (and praying for no delays...), and working never-ending days (because in 2013 you don't just leave work at 5 and that's it until tomorrow....). Don't even get me started on finding time for a workout, making dinner or running errands (who has time to go to the grocery store anyways?)...we are all stressed and tired, it just originates from different sources. How we chose to utilize our time during the day is our personal choice, and not one person's time is more valuable than the other.
It's okay to be insecure and annoyed the guy you went out with last week didn't call back....guess what? He sucks. So do the other five guys that never called back. And that mom who judges you for giving your kid McDonalds to shut them up? They suck, too. Sometimes, you just want some french fries...and sometimes it's more fun.
There is a lot of talk about 'having it all'. I look at my married friends (and there are quite a few of them may I add...and growing!) in their beautiful suburban houses....Some with husbands who support them and their children so they can stay home and some with awesome jobs, new cars, and perfectly portioned dinners and think they have it all. They look at me and think I have it all simply because I purchased my own car and condo on my own and I have a job with amazing growth potential (their words not mine). I can think of about 50 other things I need to accomplish before I will even attempt to evaluate whether I 'have it all'.
What the hell is having it all anyways?
I wouldn't say the grass is always greener, I think it's more like the grass can be viewed as a different shade depending on where you are in life.
Yes, I have my freedom...and a lot of it....but sometimes I wish I had someone to keep me busy. Or someone to tell me I am pretty when I feel gross, or someone that needed me to come home from the office at 5, hang pictures in my house, help me cook (or order the takeout...it's all the same to me), or just snuggle with on the couch.
Don't think it's 'easy' being single. (For the record, I don't think it's easy being married or being a mom, either....) Single girls have a LOT of responsibilities....and not a whole lot of help with them.
(I mean that both literally and financially...remember I said put it out there raw....)
So..I am here to be your advocate. Put on some blush, lipstick and mascara (there is no excuse to leave the house without all 3....) and those hot shoes and go get 'em.
Kick ass at work, the gym and the bar.
Don't feel bad about wanting to spend $200 on that dress--it's your hard-earned money and if you want it, you earned it. Don't let your co-workers make you feel bad for wanting to leave the office at 6--just because you don't have to pick up an adorable munchkin at daycare doesn't mean your evening plans are any less important. And whatever you do, do not let the guy who is giving you mixed signals get into your head.
But...if any of these things do happen...that's okay...
You are doing a great job, too.
(Can someone record this on a loop and recite it to me?!?!)






Me and old school Bethanny Frankel are giving you a standing ovation-Mika and Sheryl are too :)
ReplyDeleteLove this! So glad I'm not the only one who's noticed the absence of single girl bloggers. While I love looking at pictures of adorable toddlers as much as the next person, it's nice to read about someone who's life more closely resembles mine.
ReplyDeletethis is a GREAT post! get it, girl! love you! xoxo
ReplyDeleteLove the "grass can be viewed in different shades". So true! Keep it up, girl! xo
ReplyDeleteNew follower! I am loving this and completely agree with this!
ReplyDeleteLove this post! I was just thinking the same about single girl bloggers! I totally agree with you- it's hard to find other young professional single women bloggers!
ReplyDelete