6.12.2013

DryBar Blowout In-A-Box Review

So...back in February, DryBar had a special on their (then) newly-launched hair tools on QVC and offered limited quantities of this Blowout In-A-Box special. What would you know, but 4 friends and my sister that day would forward me the email 'just in case I didn't get it myself'.

Duh, of course I did, but I was saving for a house.


Then...low and behold...some day in April (I don't exactly remember) I was doing some online shopping browsing and ended up at QVC.com...where I realized there were a couple left in stock! I had been searching for a new salon-grade hairdryer since I was moving and wasn't worried about blowing the fuse in my new house....when the stars aligned and I received a QVC promo code in my email.

Obviously, I bit the bullet and went for it. I previously owned a Super Solano for quite a few years which I loved, and borrowed a T3 that I hated. I figured it was a little cheaper than the Solano came with the clips and the brush, and if I hated it, QVC said I could return it no questions asked.

Plus, the yellow matched the color theme of my new house.

Win-Win for everyone.

I've had the kit for about a month in a half, which has allowed me ample time to assess the quality of my hair and the tools themselves.

So...what do I think?
Disclaimer: I am not a professional hair stylist....I just happen to spend a lot of time and money on my hair.I was not paid by DryBar to write this review either. I paid for the kit with my own money, and these are my personal thoughts. 

Buttercup: The Hair Dryer



Overall, I think this dryer is great.
It is VERY lightweight--I was almost surprised by how light it was, but don't let that fool you. This light guy packs quite the punch. It gets great heat, which is what you really need if you are trying to style your hair with just a dryer and a brush. You need the heat to set the curls

Does it dry my fair faster than my Costco Con-Air? Yes. 
Does it dry my hair faster than my old Super Solano? I don't think so, but it's still faster than what I was used to.
Does my hair look better? I think so--I regularly get asked if I had just gotten my hair colored long after I have now that I use this dryer, and I have noticed I can go days between washes, so I think the claims it's healthier for your hair than a regular dryer are true.

Lots of the reviews focus on the bulky cord--yes, it's bulkier than one of you will buy in the store, but not so bulky that it causes a storage problem (hello people...I live in 819 square feet)...and it does not add to the weight. Did I mention this dryer is extremely lightweight?

Half Pint Medium Styling Brush





Would I have purchased this brush if it didn't come in the set? Probably not. 
(Kinda pricey for a brush if you ask me)
Am I glad it came with the kit? Yes. 

I have extremely think hair, and this brush has much longer bristles than other round brushes I have used, so my hair doesn't get tangled up as much anymore. (Any tangles come from user error) It gives me great curls on the bottom and great volume on the top--you can certainly tell this brush was made to style with a heated dryer.

The handle is also made of some sort of material that prevents me from getting hair wrapped around it and breaking off while I am doing my thing....which is another plus in my book.

Again, I think it's a little pricey ($35) at full price, but if you are someone who invests in hair products, then go for it. You don't be disappointed. I think it's better quality than some brushes I have purchased in a salon for about the same price. 
(Back in the day when my parents paid for my haircuts....ahhh the glory days....)

Even better, go for it during Sephora Friends & Family ;) 

Hold Me Hair Clips



Yet again, another thing I probably wouldn't have purchased if they didn't come in the kit....(mainly because I have tried multiple variations of these from Sally Beauty Supply and think they are kinda crappy...)

BUT...say I tried them out at a friend's house before I had my own set...I would have run to either Sephora or the Georgetown DryBar as fast as I freaking could because..... if you have thick hair and need to clip your hair up to dry it...there is nothing better than these bad boys. And they are cute as heck to boot.

At $16 for full price, I don't think these are outrageously expensive if you need them. If you have thick hair and usually style it with a blowdryer, you need them. (Understand?)

Overall, am I happy with my Blowout In-A-Box? 

YES!

I will not be returning it, even though the very nice lady at QVC assured me I could. Yes, it's a little pricey for some, but getting your hair dryed faster its worth its weight in gold for some of us with super think hair. 
Also, as a little bonus, the kit comes with a $10 gift coaster to DryBar.

Again...I am not a professional stylist and was not paid for this review. I happen to know a lot about styling your hair at home and happen to research hair products a lot. This is just my two cents in case you were curious.

Thanks for stopping by! 

No comments:

Post a Comment