4.29.2013

Nike Women's Half Marathon-Washington DC

Happy Monday! I know it's been a while...I have been a very busy gal...as I type this I am laying on the couch icing my knees after completing my 2nd Half Marathon in just 1 month time...

On Sunday, I completed the Inaugural Nike Women's Half Marathon in Washington DC! 
(aka...here at home) From the minute they announced they were expanding the Women's Half Marathon franchise to DC I knew I HAD to run this race.


I am not going to lie...I was super nervous about this race. My training had not been up to par with my Rock-n-Roll Training...and a couple weeks ago I got a series of foot and knee injuries that had me questioning whether or not I would actually run on Sunday or not. My initial goal was to beat my time from March...but the week before the race my goal changed to just run the race.

If you know me, you know that I don't back down from a challenge and I don't like to fail...so run I did, and I am so glad I made the decision to participate. Nike threw one heck of a race....apparently they are going to start rolling out half-marathons to major cities throughout the country, and if you EVER get the opportunity to run in one....DO IT! You will not regret it. 

The whole race is centered around empowerment, having fun, and being a woman while you do it...and the messaging and branding is on point. I was so proud to be a female runner.

The expo for the race was unlike any other expo..there was no Gu station or Runner's World booth...how about Bare Minerals makeovers, Paul Mitchell hair styles, and sports bra fittings instead? Oh and all the Luna bars your heart desires....here is me with one of the sweet Luna gals who were part of their cheer squad along the course.


Shalane Flanagan (US Olympian and Boston Marathoner) and Joan Beniot Samuelson (first woman  to win the Boston Marathon) were in attendance and even ran the race as well! 

(photo courtesy of Nike Running)

When I say Nike threw one heck of a party, I am not kidding. They had 2 invite only events (that I was not invited to...) A necklace reveal at the Georgetown Nike Store and a private Elie Goulding concert...must try to get on the list for that next year!


At 7 am Sunday Morning...15,000 runners starter the inaugural Nike Women's Half Marathon down Pennsylvania Avenue through the city...


It was the PERFECT day for a run. I felt great and kept a good pace even though my knee was bothering me for most of the race (nothing like popping Advil while you are running...)

Then, as if the running goddesses were reading my mind.....around mile 8 all of these super-cute, encouraging signs started popping up...and boy did they know how to keep me moving!
(Excuse the picture quality...I snapped them while I was running!)



2 hours and 37 minutes later...I approached the finish line where a handsome man in a tuxedoholding one of these trays... (so much better than a medal!) 

(photo courtesy of Nike Running)

......gave my my finishers necklace! 
They definitely have the whole appealing to women thing down.


Again, not the greatest time...but my goal was to run and finish....so goal attained. I'll worry about dropping my time later. I was just so proud of myself for going out there and giving it all I had..no pain, no gain, right? I also got a Nike Dryfit Finisher shirt, too. The swag at this race was absolutely unbeatable.



Fact: there is no such thing of a flattering picture at a race. Coupled by the fact that my dad took a picture on my iphone (they always look horrible...) I just look absolutely atrocious here...but I was so happy to finish, I didn't care.


Here is a close-up of the necklace 
(that I will be wearing for at least a couple days...I worked hard for this thing!)


 I have to admit, I didn't run this race with any friends...I found out a couple weeks before a co-worker of mine was running it, but I lost her early on in a water station jam...and I had SO MUCH FUN. There were so many first-time half marathoners there....and the energy of the crowd was... indescribable. Yes, some people were there to win, but most were there to conquer a goal and have fun with a bunch of fabulous women. 


I will definitely be running this race again next year....and I encourage anyone who has been thinking about it to enter the lottery....it's one amazing race and I will do it year after year for as long as my body will let me. (oh..and if you get in, you are more than welcome to stay with me!!)

That's a wrap on my racing career for 2013....two half marathons in a month was enough for me...I need to rest up my knee, but I plan to run in other races next year. 

I think I am going to start looking into some shorter ones in the interim to work on speed 
training..does anyone have any advice on how to drop a half-marathon time? 

Hope y'all had a GREAT weekend! I am a busy bee these days..but check back on Wednesday for some exciting news :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment