4.04.2013

An Ode to the Cellphone

Happy Thursday.

I am not sure if you are aware or not, but the cellphone is turning 40 this year. How do I know this? NBC Night News. Duh. I am also a huge gadget/technology nerd....but that's another story for another day.
(This link actually has a pretty cool story/segment if you find yourself with a couple extra minutes today...)

Talk about aging with grace....it's safe to say the mobile phone is 'peaking' rather than regressing at its old age. It is one of the single-most innovative technological advancements of our lifetime, and has completely transformed the way we live and function as a society.

Sometimes I hate to admit it, but I am not sure our society would function WITHOUT cell phones.  I constantly ask my dad questions like 'Well, how did you find someone at the airport when you picked them up?' His answer: 'You went to where you were supposed to, and you waited.'

The very few times I leave my house without it I almost panic....and when I wake up after a night of drinking it's the first thing I check for.

Let's take a look back, shall we?

Remember the bag phone? I sure do! My parents had these....I don't remember a whole lot about them except for the part where they took forever to charge/install and I WAS NOT ALLOWED TO TOUCH IT. 
(of course I did, every chance I could...)


Fast forward a couple years to the 'Zach Morris' phone. I couldn't find the actual technological name for this phone, and believe or not (Believe...trust me) googling 'Zach Morris phone' gave me the EXACT results I was looking for...so there. I believe this phone was produced by Motorola and finally broke us free from the bag/cord situation that trapped us in our cars. Talk about liberating.


After the Zach Morris phone...things started changing real fast.

There was the TRL Banana phone, the little Nokia guy with the interchangable face plates (you bet your butt I had a pink sparkly one...some things NEVER change), the Motorola Razr, and the Palm Pilot just to name a few from way back in the pre-smart phone days.

I think that Nokia ringer will stay in my head for....forever.

For your viewing pleasure...here's a little visual down memory lane.





Happy Birthday, Cell Phone!
Thanks for turning me into a crazy lady ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment