3.18.2013

Rock-N-Roll Half Marathon and Hello Spring Link Up Party!

Well...Happy Monday friends! I hope y'all had a GREAT weekend. I know I have been MIA lately...I am a busy busy gal and sometimes, this blog takes a back seat. Luckily, I have a couple extra minutes to update you on my weekend and get comfy because this is a long one ;)

This weekend I ran my first ever half-marathon....the DC Rock-N-Roll Half.

I am NOT a runner.
My goal was really to finish, but I really wanted to finish between 2 hours 30 minutes and 2 hours and 45 minutes....my final time was 2 hours 31 minutes with an average pace of 11:30 a mile--not to shabby for my first stab at street racing! 

I will not lie--I had to train a lot and I didn't even run that fast. 

But I finished....which was all I really wanted to do.

The forecast called for rain, but luckily the weather gods were looking down on us and it didn't rain at all!

 5:30 AM wake-up call? No problem for us! 


Disclaimer: When running, there isn't a good photo of you AT ALL. This was around mile 10, where I found my cheering section...the gals fueled me to the end but I really was not picture ready at any point. 


My dad is absolutely incapable of taking decent pictures of me on my iphone. I did not distort this image at all, yet it looks completely distorted/weird.


With Diane and Margo....the gals who convinced me to sign up for this race to begin with!


Crossing the finish line was one of the most gratifying feelings....all of that hard work paid off. In all actuality, I knew I could finish, because I spent the last 90 days preparing for this race. It is absolutely 100% true that running a race like this is mind over matter....I talked myself out of walking, having a cramp and a foot problem. 


I learned a lot about myself. I pushed myself to a limit I had never tested before. Challenges are more a test of mental than physical strength...and you can achieve any goal you set your mind to, as long as you commit to it.



So...what did I do after burning around 2K calories before 11 am?

I went to Shake Shack..and got a burger, cheese fries, diet coke and a mint-chocolate ice cream thing with chunks of cookie dough...and ate it ALL in about 15 minutes.  


Then I soaked my feet in ice for about 2 hours and tried my hardest to avoid stairs all day. 
And I got the best post-race hospitality from Roomie E who shuttled me around and kept me company while I was stationery. 


Luckily,  I felt 100% fine the next day and will be taking a couple days off running before hitting the pavement again. (I think I earned a couple days off....)

I MUST thank the lovely Caroline for taking the time from her new mommy schedule to answer some of my questions about running races and easing some of my pre-race fears (I knew nothing about Gu before speaking with her!). If you don't follow her blog you should...she is a mommy/runner extraordinaire! 

On Sunday, I went to check in on my BFF, her husband and THEIR NEW BABY! (He is the cutest thing I have ever laid eyes on and I am obsessed with him!) I brought them some dinner (AWESOME recipe to come soon!) and spent the evening playing with the baby and the dog who is only kinda sorta accepting her demotion. Nothing like a peaceful Sunday with some of my favorite people to cap off a great weekend :)


Now...time for the Hello Spring Link-Up...hosted by none other than the aforementioned Caroline and some of her super-sweet blogging friends! 

Simply Smithwick


Even though it's SNOWING outside today...it is Spring.....and Spring is my favorite season of the year....I have some grand ambitions for spring! 

Turn 28 with a bang. 
Yes, my birthday is in the Spring (one of the reasons it's my favorite season!) and I intend on making 28 way better than 27.


Visit local Wineries.
Virginia has some of the best wineries in the country, and there is no reason to NOT take advantage of beautiful weather, scenery and wine all at the same time.
(anyone care to argue with me?)


Spring Cleaning.
On my list is to go through my magazine collection and go through my stuff in the basement. 4 years in the same house means there is too much stuff just sitting in the basement.


Outdoor Exercise.
I love exercising outdoors when the weather is nice...plus I have another race at the end of April! Even if it's just going for a walk...gotta stay active outdoors while you can. 


Go to the Cherry Blossom Festival.
One of the best times of year around town and the cherry blossoms are just gorgeous. Great photo opps, too! 


If you made it to the end of this...Congrats! Go reward yourself with an ice-cold Diet Coke :)

To all the new followers from the link-up: Welcome! Thanks for stopping by and don't be afraid to follow along!  ;)


7 comments:

  1. Congrats!!! That is awesome! Great spring list too! I LOVE visiting wineries, it's one of my favorite things to do! I wish we had some closer! Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up! Congrats on your first half marathon...isn't it the best feeling?!

    Wineries sound great! I'm actually going to one this weekend with some girlfriends for a bachelorette part, I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did AMAZING on the race! Good work!!! Your list is amazing! I would love to see the cherry blossoms someday! SO pretty!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go on your first 1/2! I am so happy for you! And jealous of your post race meal! And visiting local wineries. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your first half! I had just about the same time for mine. I bought a Groupon for a winery that I can't wait to use this spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAYYYY! i'm so so proud of you!

    fantastic post! love all the pics and looove you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! I ran the rock n roll when it was in Savannah last year and it was also my first half. I really loved doing it! I'm thinking of doing it again this year!

    ReplyDelete