7.31.2012

What do you think of the Olympics so far?

Happy Tuesday everyone! Hope y'all are having a great week so far. Since I'm not really doing anything other than working and watching the Olympics, the only thing I really have to blog about is the Olympics (because do you really care about work?? No.)  (Sorry I'm not sorry.....) At some point, I need to upload all of my Seattle pics AND finish the new Emily Giffin book, but HOW I will find time for all of this with the Olympics going on is beyond me.....my inner Superwoman can come out at any time ;)

So...let's get right to my Olympic discussion......

1. Social Media is RUINING the Olympics. 

Damn you capitalism....I totally undersatnd the concept of showing things in primetime for advertising dollars (plus, it's great for those of us who aren't at home during the weekday...) but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I can't get on twitter or ANY news website after 2 pm because they ruin EVERYTHING. In the age of 24/7 news, I realize you should tweet info as it happens, but could you please title your tweets/article 'Spoiler Alert' and not give it all away on the front page for those of us who like surprises? I realize the 5 hour timezone is a major factor but seriously...it's ruining the Olympics. Some of my fondest memories from the last Olympics were staying up late to watch the men's relays live with my roommates shouting at the TV-I don't want to know what happens 5 hours before I see it on TV. (And I don't care what you say, watching it online at work just isn't the same)

2. Questionable NBC coverage.




So, NBC isn't exactly knocking it out of the park this year.  I am not saying I can do better...but still, where do some of these guys come from? Bob Costas probably needs a nap and whoever they have commentating the gymnastics is the most pessimistic commentator ever. He is also a HUGE drama queen. One minute he LOVES the US gymnasts...the next they have completely ruined their lives for the foreseeable future. How about you kinda shut the heck up and let us watch some gymnastics? Also, next time a gymnast who has done ENDLESS endorsements for you leading up to the Olympics is having a breakdown because they didn't make the all-around GET THE CAMERA OUT OF HER FACE and let her have a moment--sheesh! 

Let's not forget about our good friend Andrea Kremer doing poolside interviews.....could you please ask the swimmers less awkward questions? How about showing some support for the team, too instead of reminding them of how they just lost the gold? 

3. Ryan Lochte v. Michael Phelps

I, like most of America was super excited for the Lochte-Phelps showdown. A possible 1-2 punch for Team  USA with no given as to who would finish first? Yes please. Now...to be honest, I don't have a favorite. I like them both I mean...what isn't to like?



Especially since Mr. Lochte is exceptionally easy on the eyes.....but he needs some press training or something. His interviews after his races are just.....uninspiring. 




BUT.....
What's up with everyone turning their backs on Michael??!

 He is the world's most decorated Olympic champion....I think of him like an American classic. He is a proven champion and last olympics was the face of the games....why is everyone jumping ship to Ryan? Yes, Ryan outright won the 400 IM....but you do know that Michael didn't train for that race until last year, correct? Mr. Phelps also swam a clutch leg in that relay that gave the team a HUGE lead that Lochte couldn't hold onto. He hasn't even gotten into his best events yet and everyone is jumping ship.....I predict Mr. Phelps is mad as hell and going to whoop some you know what tonight in the 200 fly. As he says "I do my talking in the pool."



 Shame on all of you who have left him high and dry.
I still love you Michael!

4. Missy Franklin (aka new girl crush)


FINALLY a good role model for little girls--she is smart, funny, happy, dedicated to her schoolwork and swimming. She doesn't do drugs and isn't out partying all the time. She had braces and wasn't ashamed of them and loves her family.  She turned down endorsement deals to swim on her highschool team with her friends and just 'wants to be a teenager'. In a day where kids grow up WAY TOO FAST, we need more teenage girls like her.

5. Team USA Women's Gymnastics Team

My heart aches for Jordyn Weiber.....such a class act at such a young age. She deserves to be in the final and everyone knows it. I can't wait for the finals tonight to see the fab five kick some boo-
tay! I love these girls--they are adorable, smart, level-headed and fierce competitors.


...and my other Olympic girl crush is Gabby Douglas. What's not to love about her? She has an infectious smile, is a total-bad ass on all the events, is drop-dead gorgeous AND is from Virginia. 
#TeamGabby allllll the way!  



I am 100% addicted to the games--I just can't get enough. What do you think of the coverage? Do you care about the spoilers? Who is your favorite athlete?

Until next time....

GO TEAM USA!


1 comment:

  1. great post, al!

    i totally agree. they should probably get bob costas a cot so he can have a little nappy nap. he's definitely been noticeably grumpy!

    ReplyDelete