So, I am not sure if it is because it's a new year, because I am getting old, or because I haven't moved in almost 2.5 years (and therefore have accumulated tons of crap), but I literally an addicted thinking/searching/pinning ideas on what else I can organize 24/7. When I told my BFF and my mom this they both looked at me like I was mentally insane. Safe to say organization and keeping things clean and clutter-free hasn't been my strong suit- but times are-a-changing.
Does anyone watch the Amadas on the style network? This just may be my absolute favorite show (even though it's not boradcasted in HD.....grrrr) I really want to be her. Or just an Amanda. Or just have her skills (and perhaps her job, cute kids, wardrobe.....etc) Amanda is a professional organizer (was not told in high school this was a career option but I am seriously considering a career switch.....) and her team of fabulosity literally transform rooms and houses in stilettos and pink tools (my kinda people).
Does anyone watch the Amadas on the style network? This just may be my absolute favorite show (even though it's not boradcasted in HD.....grrrr) I really want to be her. Or just an Amanda. Or just have her skills (and perhaps her job, cute kids, wardrobe.....etc) Amanda is a professional organizer (was not told in high school this was a career option but I am seriously considering a career switch.....) and her team of fabulosity literally transform rooms and houses in stilettos and pink tools (my kinda people).
I think it is safe to say my addiction to her show is fueling my sudden interest (and new addiction) to organizing. She doesn't believe in white hangers (kinda like the overhead lighting thing, I never knew this bothered people....) and loves baskets/containers/etc. (Growing up, these things were considered "unnecessary") Her family lost everything they had in Hurricane Katrina, so she really presses people on evaluating if they really NEED something-since she literally has been without everything. (Again, I really could use a sit-down with this girl....)So, fresh off 3 hours of Amandas this week, here is what I have decided I need to complete in order to a)be more productive at work (and life in general...I mean who spends hours each day looking at storage solutions?) and b) get my life in order (so I can get addicted to other things...like saving money and reading....)
1. The Linen Closet
(I think my roommate is dancing in her chair right now....)
Our linen closet has turned into....a graveyard of my old sheets (and then some) and anything that I need upstairs in my room/bathroom that doesn't fit. I literally have TONS of sheets-most of which I don't use. Why do you ask? Well, I have a deep-pocket pillow top mattress with an additional memory foam on top (and it is even in person better than it sounds...)...which means I need beyond super deep pocket sheets. (Which don't exactly exist). Therefore, most of the sheets in my closet are unusable (or the fitted sheet has ripped from me trying to make it work....) and I haven't put forth the effort to clean them out...I just throw them to the bottom of the pile. It also appears that I have way too many bath towels that have probably more than exceeded their life expectancy (thank you Kohls for your amazing, low-price bath goods) and just a few dozen types of medicine/first aid crap all over the place. (Hey, I get sick and get boo-boos a lot...). I have really put this task off because I just don't know what to do, other than fold my sheets into my pillowcases.
I also have 6 pillows on my bed, so at any given time I am using EVERY pillowcase I own, making this not possible since I am not buying pillow cases for the hell of it. Since that option is out, what suggestions do you have? My side of this closet literally drives me NUTS. My roommate did hers a few weeks ago (and folded all of my crap in the process-thankyouverymuch) but she doesn't have a ridiculous amount of pillows on her bed so she is all set.2. Ribbon/Gift Wrap
Before you call me crazy, just know that I literally have TONS of ribbon and gift wrap (and I am not sorry about it). What can I say, I love crafts (well crafts involving ribbons) and I love gifts. (Most people would agree that I am a great gift giver AND packager). My ribbon is in about 15 different places, unraveled from the spool and it just isn't working for me. Enter this guy who is going to make my life very happy (and organized). You (and maybe a friend or two....) shall be mine this weekend.
Before you call me crazy, just know that I literally have TONS of ribbon and gift wrap (and I am not sorry about it). What can I say, I love crafts (well crafts involving ribbons) and I love gifts. (Most people would agree that I am a great gift giver AND packager). My ribbon is in about 15 different places, unraveled from the spool and it just isn't working for me. Enter this guy who is going to make my life very happy (and organized). You (and maybe a friend or two....) shall be mine this weekend.
Then there is the gift wrap dilemma. Again, call me crazy, but I a) probably have reached the limit on the number of rolls one should own and b) don't want it to get ruined. (Another thing I probably spend too much money on....) Anyways, right now it's either in the basement (that floods....) or loose under my bed rolling around (and occasionally making an appearance on my rug/floor...) Since this pretty much drives me crazy on a daily basis, I have been thinking about either this box....
I like either of these ideas because I can put all my gift wrap, tags, tissue paper, scissors and tape all together in ONE PLACE (they are always scattered in 10 different places and not where I remember putting them last....) and get stuff out of the random places in my room/house. (I said organization wasn't my strong suit...) Has anyone used either of these and have a recommendation? I haven't made a decision yet because I can't decide on bulkier, durable box vs. less bulky but flimsy (or maybe just not as durable....) bag. HELP!
3. Scrapbooking stuff.
I L-O-V-E scrapbooking. I have tons of scrapbooking crap. (Mostly from the scrapbooking room my dad put in for me when I lived at home in highschool/college) Welp, my dad turned that into lord only knows what when I moved out, and all the crap came with me. (It wasn't cheap and I didn't want it to get thrown out!) It has literally gotten to the point where I don't even know what I have because it's such a mess. Hopefully, I will find some long-lost goodies and get crafting like a crazy lady again.
Since I don't have this kind of space to work with (No, that is NOT my scrapbooking room from my rents house...this is just my dream scrapbooking room via Pinterest....), I need to figure something out. Again-the underbed box (that doesn't even close anymore...) is just NOT working.
3. Scrapbooking stuff.
I L-O-V-E scrapbooking. I have tons of scrapbooking crap. (Mostly from the scrapbooking room my dad put in for me when I lived at home in highschool/college) Welp, my dad turned that into lord only knows what when I moved out, and all the crap came with me. (It wasn't cheap and I didn't want it to get thrown out!) It has literally gotten to the point where I don't even know what I have because it's such a mess. Hopefully, I will find some long-lost goodies and get crafting like a crazy lady again.
Since I don't have this kind of space to work with (No, that is NOT my scrapbooking room from my rents house...this is just my dream scrapbooking room via Pinterest....), I need to figure something out. Again-the underbed box (that doesn't even close anymore...) is just NOT working.

I moved a set of shelves from my room into the basement when I re-did my room earlier this year, so I am thinking of utilizing those and these Chalkboard baskets I purchased (and never used, so therefore subsequently can't return since I don't have the receipt) to organize all of the stuff.
Here is the kicker: I love the idea of all this stuff but am BEYOND CHEAP when it comes to organization. Yes, I have no issue dropping a couple hundred bucks on a dress without blinking an eye, but when it comes to things for the home, forget it. (Insert aggravated look that all this crap comes from Container store which is so overpriced but functional it drives me CRAZY!) Also, since I am not spending frivolously, I will need to make this happen on a budget while still stylish cute and functional. (Who wants non-stylish organization in their home?!?) I am hoping to get some suggestions from you, my loyal 49 readers on tips, tricks, ideas, etc.Or....I could just get Amanda. But then this would get out of control.
Either way, it's happening.







No comments:
Post a Comment