Okay people...let's have a little chat about the famous 'White Elephant' gift exchange.
Maybe it's just me, and maybe I take things a little too seriously, but I am one more white elephant away not participating in these things.
I am a gifter--I like giving gifts to people. I probably spend more time than normal thinking of good gifts for people, researching unique ones....you get the point. White elephant gift exchanges pose a dilemma--I don't know who I am shopping for...what if they don't really like my gift but someone else would LOVE it? (I usually buy a gift for a white elephant with a few people who will be there in mind...) I am also VERY competitive....therefore, I must buy the gift everyone fights over.
More importantly, what if I spend all this time thinking of a good gift only to get stuck with a shitty gift in return? I mean if you bring a good one and you know it, you at least want something decent in return. This always gets hazy when the 'what if it's a gag-gift v. real gift' question is posed. I generally abide by the rule no gag-gifts unless instructed. I don't have the time or money to waste on junk for fun.
White elephant gifters can be grouped into 3 specific categories: The purchasers, the re-gifters, and the people with no class who throw random junk in a box and admit it.
The re-gifters can be spotted a mile away....their gifts are always CLEARLY over the price limit. I am also shocked at the number of people who openly admit to re-gifting.
#1 rule of re-gifting....DON'T TELL PEOPLE YOU RE-GIFTED.
Then there are the people who clearly are lazy as fuck and throw random shit in a box and wrap it. Really? The best you can do is throw Sparklers, soap, snacks, lisa frank-ish journals, pencils, old herb packets in a box and pass it as a gift? If you can't stop to get a bottle of wine at 7-11 on your way to the party just sit it out.
And is it just me....or do the lazy junk-throwers ALWAYS end up with the best gifts?
Bitches.
That's all I have to say about that.
Over the weekend I updated my About Me page. Check it out my clicking on that lovely picture of my face on the Right-Hand corner that says 'Meet Alex' and let me know what you think!







You've been nominated for a Liebster Award! Come check out http://20somethinggonewrong.blogspot.com/ for all of the info!
ReplyDelete