4.16.2014

7 Years Ago Today.


I remember everything about April 16, 2007 like it was yesterday. 

It was hands-down one of the worst & scariest days of my life.

Imagine living somewhere where you have never felt safer only to find out a gunman has ravaged it and taken 32 lives. Thirty-two human lives. It's still difficult to comprehend. 

Why? 
How?
What causes someone to inflict that kind of pain on others?
This kind of stuff doesn't happen at my school. Or in Blacksburg. This is the crazy stuff we see on the news.

I will never understand what drives these clearly troubled individuals to commit the acts of violence they do.....I don't think we ever will....but if there is one thing I have learned about the human spirit, it's resilient as ever.

These people whose intent is to destroy our faith in humanity and our communities actually cause the exact opposite effect.....because at times of extreme sadness and tragedy, humans always ban together and emerge stronger than ever. Ask anyone in Blacksburg, Newton or Boston.....while their world was seeimingly crumbling at the seams, they were simultaneously blown away by the kindness of complete strangers. It makes us know, deep down inside, it's going to be alright....even if it isn't at the time. 

Always remember the good--it always outdoes the bad. For every act of violence, there are hundreds of acts of kindness to follow.


While I have moved on and learned to live with this event in my life, I still remember everything so vividly. I can still remember the look of fear and sadness in everyone's eyes, the endless messages from old acquaintances I hadn't spoken to in years, the phone calls that wouldn't go through, the thousands of police cars, the news trucks and reporters from around the world, Anderson Cooper & his film crew in the Christiansburg IHop, the hugs, the messages and prayers from all over the world, the lady on the bench with the sign that said 'Here to Listen', the tributes, the vigils, the tears, the 'Let's Go Hokies!' that sent chills and tears down every single person at the Convocation, the President of the United States on our campus, the never-ending news coverage, the way Nikki Giovanni's 'We Are Virginia Tech!' speech made me feel the first time I heard it......and a few days later, knowing that attending college at Virginia Tech was hands-down the most important and best decision I had ever made up to that point.

I remember it all.



And I will Never Forget.
4.16.2007


5 comments:

  1. <3 and prayers to you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. neVer forgeT. From one burg (jmu) to the other, today we are all Hokies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl that gave me chills!! I remember working on campus that day and seeing the coverage on the news and my heart just breaking for everyone involved...such sadness!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously got chills. What a tragedy!

    ReplyDelete