9.24.2009

The 20-something "Relational Wasteland?"

While trying to waste away some time at work yesterday (don't act like you don't do it yourself.....) I came across this article on the front page of WashingtonPost.com about 20-something dating and marriage.

When I first read it (very fast and quickly--my patience was running low), I outwardly disagreed with the writer and was frankly, a little disgruntled. After reading it again and paying attention to it, I must say he does make some great points about dating and marriage these days. Relationships just aren't what they used to be, and commitment doesn't seem as important as it once was. It used to be rebellious and frowned upon to live with someone without marraige-- now it's considered a good idea to see if you can stand living with the person. The thing that still gets me is this phrase

...."The marital sweet spot seems to be in the early to mid-20s. "

Seeing how I don't think I will be getting married anytime soon (and am approaching my mid-20s....), it poses the question, am I doomed for a life of lonliness or non-commital relationships? I remember hearing from my parents and other adults not to rush--be young while you can, you never get your 20s back. What happened to wanting to establish a career, a sense of self indenpendently, and making sure you know who you are before bringing someone else along? Trust me, I have PLENTY of friends who are married and even some with kids. I don't think they regret their decisions--they are happy where they are in life.

But guess what--so am I. I have a great job with a great company and learn from some of the best (even though sometimes I hate it and it's boring). I have WONDERFUL parents who would do anything for me, even though I am supposed to be on my own. I am very lucky to have some of the best friends anyone could ask for, and most of all I have freedom. My life is mine, and I can do whatever I want with it. I love that I can support myself and am not dependant on anyone else. It may be selfish, but right now I wouldn't have it any other way. Most importantly--I am HAPPY.

Not everyone needs a house, a husband and a baby to make their life complete. I'm not saying it isn't nice, but for some it's just not necessary. When I talk to some of my married friends about how things are going they say things along the line of "I can't wait for you to know what it's like to find the happiness I have" --as if I am not happy on my own.

Maybe one day, I will want that elusive 'happiness'. For now, I will take my freedom, shoes and cocktails instead.

2 comments:

  1. Amen sista! I do what I want when I want and I love it:)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the article! The grass is always greener on the other side - I have the boyfriend, house, and two dogs (NO BABIES!!) but I regret not living by myself (or with a fun non-bf roommate) the first couple years out of college and enjoying my mid-20's before settling down. Have fun while you are young, you have your whole life to be responsible and tied down!

    ReplyDelete